#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fed Up!

If you're like me and are becoming "fed up" with putting foods in your body and having no idea what's in them, I have some words of advice. I purchased this dehydrator from Wal-Mart for $40.00. I did some investigating on the internet and found that more complex dehydrator's could set you back about $200. Needless to say, you get what you pay for. If I'm able to become proficient in dehydrating foods in my $40 Oster, I might consider investing in a more elaborate machine.
Up first on the menu: cucumber chips, dried green beans, and banana chips. I lightly salted the cucumbers and green beans, and I dipped the banana's in a lemon juice and water concentrate prior to placing them on the drying shelves. 15 hours later my first endeavor in dehydration was complete!
My mounting prejudices against processed foods hasn't stalled with the dehydrator. I've been toasting organic pita bread (approx. 45 calories a bag) and baking kale. Both recipes serve as a great substitute for a potato chip or a salty snack. My twin sister Jami turned me on to the kale.
My "appetite" to be aware of what's going in my body continues. I've been addicted to home made hummus! Well, I'm not certain you call it hummus... I simply puree a can of garbanzo beans, add some roasted red peppers, and call it "hummus". I've never actually glanced at a hummus recipe. I've also added some canned spinach and garlic powder to pureed garbanzo beans and found the result to be equally as satisfying as the red pepper recipe. I like to dish my dips up in to containers that are easy for single-girls or Mom's on-the-go!

2 comments:

  1. I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is delicious! I'm gonna have to steal some of your recipes. It's good to see people taking their health seriously.

    ReplyDelete